Thursday, September 18, 2014

Blog Hop: Cotton Wood Arts Blog Hop!

Welcome to the Mixing it Up loves Cottonwood Arts blog hop!
This is a closed blog hop just for the members of the Mixing it Up Every Day Face Book group so that we can get to know each other better.
Having said that, if you are not in our group, please feel free to leave a comment anyway and come join us over on Face k Book. We would love to get to know you better too.
Here's are the links to every ones blog, remember in order to have a chance to win the prize package from Cottonwood Arts you must:
1. Be a blog hostess
2. Leave a comment on everyone's blog
1. Are you a journal hoarder? How many do you have and why different ones? Maybe post a picture of your journals. If you don't do art journaling, tell us why not!


I am not a journal hoarder as I only have one journal just purchased and have not really worked in it yet.  I never felt I could afford a lot of journals and I am new at this mixed media and some times I like to frame some of my work.  I looked at my studio desk and found all my single pages all over the place on  the floor under stacks of papers, WOW..I need a new way to keep my work organized.
Journaling would be the way to go. I am learning to drawn and trying out a lot of new products and I need references that are handy and ready for me to make my art to hang or sell or give away.



Decoupage Tutorial 


A collage of different types of papers, surfaces and decoupage mediums I have used to complete each project.
Upper left picture is a collage of napkins in a mixed media style, I  tore the napkin in pieces and added them to a piece of Illustration board I  gessoed the board and added Inks and distressing with stamp pads, and then I used the Mode Podge brand in the Antique finish, I also used Tim Holtz crackle medium on this piece, and added some flowers to give it more texture. This piece is call Dream  Paris and can be seen in the May 2014  past blog.

The left hand side is my first work with Mode Podge Gloss Medium, It is on a journal page and the theme was What makes you happy. I gessoed the page and painted it blue and from the computer I printed the background picture, and the pictures and lettering were cut from magazines and the lettering was done with a White Gelli pen.

The Lower left project was a small Index card and I used a napkin and used the Decoart Deco page medium .

The Right hand picture is also a napkin done on a plain card all the Napkins were decoupaged and and the locket was added with a special tack for cards.

Steps for Decoupage 

  1. Cutting out your images with scissors or a sharp craft knife.  If you are cutting a napkin it is triple thick please separate the layers and only use the design.  Place all  pieces to the side to use in your project.
  2. You may choose to tear your papers or napkins to give them a rougher edge. This can be done with a damp brush or a wet finger but be careful not to over wet the area it will cause the paper to tear in the wrong places.
  3. If your cut out is very thin paper you may add some decoupage glue very thinnly on the back side and let dry before usisng it in the design.
  4. When you are applying the decoupage glue to the project you are going to add the paper use a brush or foam brush and wet the brush in between each time you use it.
  5. Apply a thin layer of decoupage glue on the back of your  small paper and apply them to your project as you have designed, You can use your fingers to smooth out the bubbles or a credit card work if not much pressure is applied, DO NOT USE THE CREDIT CARD ON THE NAPKIN.
  6. If you are doing a large area on a flat surface apply a thin amount of the glue on the bottom half of the area and then gently lay the paper, or napkin on here and hold the top half up with one hand and rub the bottom half with your hand toward the center of the paper and smooth out the area and then add more glue and continue to lay the paper down and work to the top of the project. To smooth out start in the middle and work outward to the edges, and you can wipe off the excess glue with a paper towel.  
  7. When Project is completely dry put the top coat of glue starting with thin coats and start in the middle and brush toward the outer edge.   You can add as many coats of  glue you feel your project needs.

Problems with papers and napkin
  1. Using to much glue and a lot of bubbles
  2. Napkins tear very easy
  3. Wrinkles in the papers 
  4. You can not easily move the paper after it has been placed down, so make sure it where you want it before placing it.
Patience waiting for the drying time. 

Please visit the following blogs and leave a comment to win the free Cotton wood art gift.



30 comments:

  1. Love love your 'happy in the moment' piece. And..... yup, I think a journal is in order here, girlie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Tommy, That was a fun memory piece I did, and yes I am learning a lot about the need of journals . So enjoying visiting with everyone. your page was awesome and your work also is great.

      Delete
  2. I love your piece, I seem to have the same problem as you, not all my work is in journals so I find art work everywhere. Hoping to get enough made to have a spot in a art in the park that goes on here every year. But I do need to start making more in my journal. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna I hope you have great luck in your Art in the Park,
      I am not doing much with my art work anymore except blogging and playing for my self and That is why I am thing about the journals and then I can show my work and keep it for my family and my grandkids and great-grandkids they love my art and this something I can leave as a ledgen of me. My mom was a artist more in ceramics and oils and she has her work in pictures all in a picture albums so we have her work to look at and enjoy as she did a lot of Art show and sold a lot of art. Memories are the best. and loved your blog and following you on all our great groups. Bloggers hug

      Delete
  3. What u need is a portfolio!! To hold all that beautiful work in!! :) Hope ur sleeping well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sleeping well and feel better today, still a long way to go to get back to my Normal.. I would love to be able to play in a journal now that I am taking classes I need to keep my ideas in one place and I went to Donna blog and loved the idea of a heritage journal of my work for my family. I have 4 great little artist comming up and they love great-grandmas work and a journal would be great to take to Oklahoma so I could bring home their work of art on each visit. loved the info on your blog Blogger Hug today.

      Delete
  4. Love this. I too will add pages to my journals. Being patient and waiting for glue to dry can be difficult for me too. THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean pou are a busy lady and I agree patients can be difficult, I do more than just the decoupage, I do all the mediums and I can do them in a journal if I just new what one I needed. Bloggers Hug.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Tamiko...you could put them in a portfolio. I too like to work on individual pieces sometimes, especially if the medium I want to use it drippy or messy and I'm afraid I'll mess up the pages in my journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am going have to figure out how to make one for my poor pages laying around like little orphans. I agree about the messy part in a journal, but I would like to use my jounals for ideas and practice and art to leave for my family to enjoy when I am gone . I am going to get journals for my 4 great grand children when I visit Oklahoma so I can let them do their art and I can then bring it back and our family in Missouri can enjoy it as they grow up to be great artist. I am sending a blogger Hop Hug...

      Delete
  6. Yep, keep all those techniques in a journal for handy reference, not only for yourself, but for your students too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandee you are so correct and I would love to use a set of journals for my great-grandkids art work when we visit Oklahoma they are my special up and coming artist, as we do art and I bring all the papers back, Journals would be great . I also would love to have my work in journals for my family to remember me by when I passed on it is a great gift to Pass down. I am going to get my student hooked on these also, Tamiko did such a great job of tell about the different types of journals my head is swimming now to much to take in at one time..feeling better waiting to have some testing done. I am sending my bloggers love for this great Bloggers Hop...((Hugs))

      Delete
  7. Sharon, I agree. Those blank pages in a pristine new journal can be daunting. Start with one and the rest will surely come. And how about stitching together some of those painted papers you have accumulated into a journal? They surely might take on a whole new life! Your work is beautiful, and I empathize with the decoupage problems. I must have 15 different kinds of adhesives and glues, but gel matte medium is my favorite for sticking down those tricky, wrinkly napkins. Keep up the beautiful work, and keep keeping it artful and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arty Auntie, I should give that a try to make my own journal I have watched a lot of talented ladies do that, something for me to think about. I like the napkin decoupage from decoart for my napkins. I have never used the Gel medium I ordered some for a class I am taking. Thank you the complement on my work, I will still keep on posting as I play.

      Delete
  8. Nice collages! So glad you have joined us in mixed media and art journaling. You can always bind your loose pages and create a beautiful book of your work as well. We create so much art there is not enough wall space to hang it all or time to sell it all. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Terri Sproul, My heart is pounding to get such a nice compliment from someone I love to watch and is so well known, I do love to collage, and now I am learning to draw again it has been a long time, and I love the charcoal. I used it in a class I am taking called Muse merriment on a figure i did.

      Delete
  10. Great creations! Love the mix of materials and colors. Your work looks like you have a great time creating it! And I think that is the most important part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa for visiting my blog and yes I do have fun creating again.The blogging has been so much fun this weekend and meeting new people and see their art and knowledge.

      Delete
  11. I really enjoyed reading your blog and I love your decoupage!!! I agree a blank journal is very daunting. I finally kept one by my side and when I used a stencil I did the reverse on a blank page. It helped a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cat, That is a great piece of advice. The stencil idea is a great idea I have a lot of those, I know as a decorative painter I did a lot of tracing of patterns on my wood to paint. I have learned so much and enjoyed this blog hop so much.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome! I am so glad I meet you through this ;-)

      ~Hugs!

      Delete
  12. Hi Sharon! What a very nice memory piece! I appreciate your decoupage tutorial and tips. Thank you! Keep up the awesome work your doing. So glad to visit your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martice, I appreciate you comment and visit to my blog, this has been a fun way to get to know and see other bloggers.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the tips Sharon.. I love how you hunted down the pages for us to look at and look forward to seeing you working in your journal..
    I'm hopping off for now..
    Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, I know you have a lot of Journals, but I have not gotten into them that much I want to I have one started I bought a while back it has two projects in it so far, except for my little great grandaughter did a page with stencils. but love that. We have learned so much together this last 18 months I have a lot to share now. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and tricks. I love to collage it is so relaxing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tiffany for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Yes i agree collage is very relaxing along with being your own creation. Hope you picked up some good tips.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing your Decopage process!! Lots of good tips. Love your pages too by the way.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Than you Yvonne, for stopping by the blog hop and leaving a comment. I enjoy sharing what knowledge I have learned in the past 20+ years in the art business. I have learned a lot from you and others also in the mixed media art, I started out as a decorative painter and then oils and colored pencil ( I Love) and watercolor not so sure about yet, and this collage is so relaxing and I can create what I really love with our a patter and a lot of rules. I enjoy adding all the pretty flowers and the steampunk (another favorite of mine). This has been fun getting to know all the great bloggers and group members.

    ReplyDelete