Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Blog: DecoArt Metallic Luster home decor project using Metallic luster creme and Metallic Elegance Paint.

My love of Altered art is what I have been doing in the past few years, I was a decorative painter for years. but  came out of my box last year to a completely new style of art.  Home decor has been a love of mine for a long time and now with these great products that DecoArt has offered I can fulfill my dream.
I found this cute little bird cage just calling my name in a resale shop and it was  shiny gold and all scuffed so I knew this would be great for this blog.

The Altered Bird Cage
  • Instruction


 
                                      
  • This is the birdcage in the natural state before the Decoart Acrylic Gesso was applied with a #4 brush from Decoart, and allowed to dry overnight.
  • You will use your finger or a small triangle make up sponge to apply the Lustre Metallic Creme, I used both to apply it. You want to use the colors listed  to give a good patina look. If you fingers are dry and the creme does not move well you can apply a small amount of baby oil on your finger tips and rub in good and this will help if you do not produce a lot of natural oils in your hands. take a soft cloth and rub to bring a great patina base look. 
  • With the Teal Metallic paint and I used a #4 decoart brush and started at the top of the dome lid and painted the wire down to the bend in the lid and then from the bottom of the lid ring I painted with the pewter up toward the teal to blend the colors. The bottom of the Case was all painted in the Teal in side and out side and then with the  Pewter paint to blend a nice patina look. 
  • After it completely dried I added some of the Metallic Luster Creme in these colors Silver Sparkle,Copper Kettle, Ice Espresso, Black Shimmer.
  • When the birdcage the colors you wanted and the right Patina look  start adding the embellishments I choose some flowers from Prima and birds from my supplies and applied them with the Helmar craft glue and my project is now completed.


Supply List: 
  • DecoArt Acrylic Gesso
  • Metallic Elegance Paint:   Teal and Pewter
  • Metallic Lustre Creame colors:  Silver Sparlkle, Cooper Kettle, Ice Expresso, Black Shimmer.
  • Helmar Craft Glue
  • Prima Flowers 
  • # 4 flat decoart brush
  • Birds.




Happy Crafting and Painting,
Sharon Estes.


2 comments: