Thursday, November 7, 2013

Blog: DecoArt Blog Autumn Placemat

I used a canvas placemat and Gesso it with Decoart Gesso and let it dry overnight.  You need to weight down the mat to keep it from curling as it dries this is important to keep it flat when working on it so it lays flat when in use.    The second step was using this product called American Satin enamels, I used Dark Ecru, and applied it on with a baby wipe sometimes you may need to use several depending on the color you are trying achieve. I applied a light coat it gives it a transparent look where some of the white shows through, and some places are light and some are darker.
I let this dry for several hours if not completely dry for the next step you may use a heat gun to dry completely.  It is Important do not over put Heat Gun to close to canvas it can burn.

 

Step Three: I used a stencil that looks like a wire fence, do not know the name of stencil as I have had it in my supplies for years and the name is worn off.  To achieve the color I wanted I mixed these new American Multi surface acrylics, and I mixed three colors and mixed them together to get the proper color I wanted since I did not have the color on hand.  You can always mix your colors if you have the basics on hand to achieve the color you need.  Colors used were:  Buff Beige, Brown Sugar, Black.  I used a stencil brush to apply the stencil using a very dry brush I load my brush with paint and then wipe off on a scrap of denim from my hubbys old pants legs and this will dry your paint to a powder consistence.  When you are working with stencils use a circle motion so the paint does not go under you stencil and you will have a crisp edge when finished.  To clean you brush use Decoart Stencil and Brush Cleaner, apply a small drop on your palette paper or Tim Holtz work sheet and rub in a circlural motion and it will foam up and clean the brush and rub on a paper towel to dry. NEVER PUT YOUR STENCIL BRUSH IN WATER. 

Step Four: cut out your design from the Napkin of choice I was given this napkin in my napkin swap . The paper will be very thin and you must be very careful when handling the pieces. On the back side apply the Decoupage medium to glue to the surface and continue laying out your pattern an gluing down.  Let this air dry until hard to touch and not sticky at all.  You may have wrinkles or bubbles as you glue down gently smooth down with you finger or a small metal palette knife and use light pressure as it will tear very easy.   DO NO USE A HEAT GUN TO DRY IT WILL MELT THE NAPKIN. I have melted many napkins...OOps  you just add more of the same napkin piece on top of mistake you can add layers and layers of the napkins to your project.  All fixed.
When completely dry take the Decoupage and brush over the entire mat let dry completely and you can add more layers of Decoupage until you get the finish you want. It will be easy to wipe off messes with a damp rag.  It can be used over years if stored flat in dry space.

I left this mat very simple you could add as much decoration you want on your background there is no limits when it come to your creativity. 

This is the last of my Autumn Post  I will be doing Christmas projects the next few weeks...Everyone loves Christmas Decorations...And I have some great new products to share with you for those projects.  

Please visit our website http://www.decoart.inc for more information on our products and ideas and you can order our products on line if not in your local craft shop.

Happy Crafting <3

2 comments:

  1. Great job Sharon.. I learn so much from you everytime I see one of your project! TFS!! Love the napkin and the stencils!! and YOU CAN NEVER go WRONG with DECOARTS anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw.. love the new look of your page.. its purpltastic!! :-) <3

    ReplyDelete